- Clean out closets and drawers: chances are you have old coats, mismatched gloves, unworn boots, old jeans and tattered sweatshirts that you don't plan to hang on to for the rest of your life. Get rid of them now and make your closets easier to use! Get your junk drawer under control, too. If your is like mine, you have at least 6 pairs of scratched sunglasses put aside as back-ups. Are you really going to dig out a pair of old sunglasses or would you just get a new pair? Be brutally honest with yourself!
- Improve your front entry: Replace the door if necessary, update the front door hardware, replace old light fixtures, power-wash the sidewalk and stairs, add nice pots and plant them with seasonally appropriate plantings. Make sure there is a nice welcome mat and that all the spiderwebs are kept at bay. Freshen the paint and the house numbers.
- Fix your driveway: That big crack that seems to be getting worse? If it means you are going to need to replace your driveway, do it now. If it means you should be patching and sealing, do that now. Either way, show your driveway some love!
- Replace your garage doors: Look around your neighborhood. Have most of your neighbors replaced their garage doors with newer, quieter versions? Do it now and enjoy the new ones (they are much quieter and nicer to look at!).
- Freshen up your deck or patio: Many of the decks I see at potential listings look really, really old. There are great products out there to 'freshen' up your deck. Make sure none of the wood is rotting, and replace it if it is. If you have a patio, make sure that it is level and that there are no places that would cause anyone to trip. Make sure it is power-washed and attractive. If you are going to stay in your house for a couple of years, splurge on a new outdoor set, or at least upgrade the cushions and umbrella and enjoy the outdoor space at your house.
If you like what you've read, please consider subscribing to my blog by clicking on the Orange RSS button and following the instructions. Thanks!
A GREAT Real Estate experience.
If I can help you, your friends or family buy or sell their next home in Northern Virginia, please let me know!
If you need help with a home outside of Northern Virginia, I have an extensive network of referral agents and will make sure you are working with the best!
The contents of this blog may not be copied or reproduced without the permission of Holly Weatherwax.